Thursday, February 1, 2007

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

I can see why girls love this book! It really captures how friendships between girls develop and grow. The language Brashares uses is definately different than that of Feed. I can see how this book attracts women both young and old. The language is not too vulgar and very conversational. It's easy to understand and follow.

I also really enjoyed the layout of the book. Each chapter, instead of being named or numbered, begins with a quote. It's also written in a different, bigger font than that of the regular text. I thought each quote was a nice way to break up the book. Another layout style I thought appealing was her use of font when the girls wrote letters to eachother. When she shows a letter, it is written in handwriting and each girl has her own style. I thought this really gave life to the characters. Im hoping to try that in my own writing!

Next book up...Harry Potter....

3 comments:

Novak san said...

What a cool detail! I don't think that I really liked the inclusion of letters, notes, or other "evidence" until we read "Out of the Dust" in Michael's class. It really is a great way to flesh out a character, and also to make the reader more invested in the story. My new favorite author haruki Murakami uses this same technique, and I love it.

Congrats on finding something that really speaks to you! Good luck....

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your writing, right here in blog-land. Haven't read the Traveling Pants though maybe I'll drag it into my adolescence class next year. It's interesting how much the "visual" aspects of text are now part of the textual meaning (we're doing graphic novels in one of my classes). I am also a fan of Haruki Murakami -- it might be a good idea to look at some "adult" writers also, who sometimes have innovative ideas that can be imported into the juvenile fiction world.

JuliaLB said...

I was just having a discussion with some of my friends about some of our favorite authors for this age group. (I'm not sure how specific the audience you want to target is). Have you tried Walk Two Moons? It was one of my favorites as a kid.