Friday, February 16, 2007

Are you there God its me Margaret and others...

I think reading Judy Blumes book was the best book I could've read. She dealt with issues of growing up in every right way. I was really impressed with how the story was laid out, the kind of things Margaret dealt with, and how she handled them. Blume captured puberty at a 11 year olds level to a T. I found it very helpful to read the voice of Margaret. As I was reading, I felt it was a little outdated, obviously, especially in reference to how puberty is dealt with today. I don't think the questions have changed or the feelings about it, but the way it is approached has been altered. I also feel that I might write in a little bit older voice due to the fact I feel kids are learning more at a younger age. But I found it very resourceful and am glad I read it.

I also read Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech. This voice was a little older and I also found it helpful. I love how the author deals with Salamanca, the main character, telling her grandparents a story along their journey together. I really got a sense of the relationship between the grandparents as well. Their characters were very lovable and gave a good side story to the actual story. I thought they really added a lot to the book. I'm thinking of having my character have some kind of relationship with an older adult. It seemed to work well in both of these stories. I might try it out. I'm continuing this blog in about a half hour due to a prior commitment aka lunch. I know you all will be sitting there in anticipation awaiting it.

No comments: